Kohlrabi Potato Gravy

                              Kohlrabi Potato Gravy

                     Ganth Gobhi Aalu ki Rasedar Sabzi


Kohlrabi comes from the German word "kohl" meaning cabbage and "rabi" meaning turnip. This unusual looking vegetable originated in northern Europe and was not known 500 years ago. Kohlrabi did not become known in the United States until 1800. 

  kohlrabi flavor is mild and delicately sweet, its texture, crisp and moist. Though the flavor of kohlrabi is unassertive, delicate hints of cabbage and broccoli come to the foreground.

 Kohlrabi found its way into Northern India in the 1600's where the Hindus considered it an important staple of their diet along with rice and greens. More recently, this unassuming vegetable is found in the cuisines of Israel, China and Africa. 

 The vegetable is an excellent source of vitamin C, a potent antioxidant that protects your body from free radical damage and plays a role in wound healing, collagen synthesis, iron absorption, and immune health.

Kohlrabi contains a wide array of antioxidants, such as vitamin C, anthocyanins, isothiocyanates, and glucosinolates. These are plant compounds that protect your cells against free radical damage that may otherwise increase your risk of disease.
Diets high in antioxidant-rich vegetables like kohlrabi are associated with a reduced risk of diabetes, metabolic disease, and premature death. 

I had never known this vegetable while living in India. My mom used to say "Ganth Gobhi hum log nahi khate" so I was of the opinion that this veggie might taste bad. Also, I have never seen this before coming to Chicago.

In Supermarkets, when I noticed this vegetable, I was curious to know how it could be cooked. Then I searched the net and saw few recipes in which this was cooked in Indian style. Kohlrabi was very common and popular in Kashmiri cuisine, so I tried a recipe but it did not taste that good. Good thing was that I tasted the raw veggie and it was a cross of turnip,radish and cabbage. Then and there I decided to cook as I cook my turnip-aalu sabzi. Believe me, it tasted superb and delish.

Here is the link of Shaljam aalu-

Shaljam Aalu 

Shaljam aalu 

 

 

           


Comments

Popular Posts