Shaljam Aalu Gravy Sabzi

          Shaljam Aalu Gravy Sabzi (Turnip- Potato Gravy)

 


 This sabzi is very yummy and first time I ate it after my marriage. Turnip was not a vegetable which was cooked often in my parents' home as my Papa did not eat it. Mummy cultivated it in her kitchen garden and in winters, she used to make seasonal pickles with it and sometimes dry masala sabzi also, which was consumed by both mom-daughter in lunch time during my winter break. Turnip is known for its high nutrition count and low calorie density.  In one medium-sized turnip there are just 34 calories, 4 grams of fiber when cooked and 1 gram of protein. It also contains more than half of your daily vitamin C needs.

In one study, researchers named certain foods that they identify as powerhouse fruits and vegetables. According to the study authors, these are foods that are strongly associated with reduced chronic disease risk. These foods provide higher levels of nutrients including vitamin C. Both turnips and turnip greens (the top leafy part of the turnip) were included in the list of powerhouse vegetables.

During the Middle Ages, the turnip gained notoriety in Europe as a popular vegetable often eaten by the lower economic class.

             Now, back to my story. After my marriage, one evening my mom-in-law was about to go on a social call with my father-in-law and me and my husband were staying home. She asked me to cook shaljam aalu gravy sabzi for dinner. I never cooked or had seen someone cooking gravy sabzi of shaljam, so I told her that I did not know how to cook it. Five months have been passed being married and that time I was not accustomed to cook various dishes. Mom-in-Law said ' no worries, Sanjay will cook and you just help him in cooking. He makes very delicious Shaljam- aalu".  Sanjay is my husband. I was happy as no tension of spoiling the dish. My hubby cooked it that evening and when everybody sat for dinner, I served it along with other things. Mummyji said ' aaj utna accha nahi bana hai, masala thoda jal gaya hai'. I said, " nahi,accha to lag raha hai". Then father-in-law commented,'  dhyan to dusri taraf laga raha hoga, masala to lag hi jana tha!" Then all of us could not contain our laughter.

Ingredients: 

    1. Turnip/ Shaljam- 3 medium size
    2. Potato-2
    3. Tomato-1/2
    4. Onion-1+2
    5. Garlic-3-4 cloves
    6. Coriander powder-1 heaped tsp.
    7. Chilli powder-2 tsp.
    8. Turneric powder-1/2 tsp.
    9. coriander leaver-1/4 cup 
    10. Salt
    11. Oil or Mustard oil- 1+ 2 serving spoon
    12. Water- approx. 1 cup 

    Method:

    • Peel turnip and Potato and cut in 1" cubes.
      • Cut tomato in same size cubes, keep aside.
      • Slice one small onion very thinly for tadka.
      • Blend remaining  onion and garlic with help of little water.
      • In a non-stick pan, heat about one tbsp. oil and add one tbsp. thinly sliced onion.
      • Saute for a couple of moments and add cubed turnip and potato.
      • On medium high heat, saute till they get some nice color.
      • Heat a pressure cooker,add remaining oil and when hot,throw remaining sliced onions.
      • When pink,add onion-garlic masala and all the powdered spices with salt.
      • Bhuno on slow flame till oil is separated.
      • Now add shallow fried turnip potato and stir for a couple of moments.
      • Add water for the gravy and pressure cook till one whistle.
      • When it is de-pressurized, open the lid and add cubed tomato.
      • Turn on the flame for a minute and cook while covering it.
      • Tomato should turn a little tender but retaining the shape.
      • Cover the lid for a while.
      • Serve after garnishing with cut coriander.
      Tip: The gravy of this sabzi should be thin,not thick. It tastes best with chapati and rice along with toor dal or kali udad dal.

     



 

 

 

 

 


 

Comments

Popular Posts