Bati or Litti-chokha


                                       Bati Or Litti Chokha

Very famous dish of Bihar and eastern Uttar-Pradesh.

My Mother was from Ballia and she used to make excellent filling for bati. Bati is traditionally made in cowdung cakes flame, but that was not always awailable in cities where in officers' bungalows we used to live. So she also made Sattu stuffed moti roti  which is known as makuni . Whatever way she made it,it was just matchless! I have not eaten any stuffing of Bati so far which even comes close to her mixture. I used to taste the stuffing since I was a cild and later she trained me to make that divine stuffing. I can brag that my stuffing is very good,very close to hers,but not exactly the same. She used red chilli pickle masala also which I can't use as I don't make red chilli pickle!



 I make my Batis in oven and they turn out perfect. Once you will make batis using this method,you will again and again make them following this recipe!



So without much delay,let's start.

Ingredients:

  1. Wheat Flour-500 gm.
  2. Sattu-2 cups ( I grind  Roasted chanas to make sattu).
  3. Ghee- As much as you can have!
  4. Onion-1 finely chopped
  5. Garlic-4-5 cloves finely chopped
  6. Ginger-1" finely chopped
  7. Green chillies-7-8 finely chopped
  8. Ajwain-1 tsp. and a little more
  9. Kalonji-Less than 1 tsp.
  10. Lemon juice of 2 lemons
  11. Salt
  12. Mustard oil-approx. 4-5 tsp.
  13. Water-approx.2tbsp.

 Procedure:

  • Make a tight dough of aata.
  • Mix all  the ingredients mentioned above and make a stuffing. Remember that 7 things are a must for this filling--number 4 to 7.
  • Also use water to wet the filling otherwise it will be dry powder like stuffing after cooking.
  • Pre-heat oven at 375 F. or 125 D.
  • Make small balls of aata and stuff and then flatten the balls a little.
  • Bake on one side for 20 minutes,turn and bake for another 30 minutes or till you think it's done.
  • If you like soft Batis, the sign is when the ball has cracks,it is cooked and you can serve these to older people who have problem in eating hard stuff.
  • Heat desi ghee and pour over Batis or enjoy it by dipping your Batis in it.
  • Serve with aalu, baingan and tamatar bhartas or chokha.


 


 

Comments

Popular Posts