Designer Roti or #Khobaroti

               Khoba Roti or Designer Roti



 

Khoba rotis are from Rajasthan, India. Originated from the many villages in Jodhpur in Rajasthan, it is a very thick roti that has various cavities that are manually made using one's thumb. ... Khoba Rotis are best cooked on a gas tandoor, but must be cooked over a low flame for a longer period considering the size, which is approximately one inch wider.  It recently caught my attention and I created them in my kitchen, and as my obsession with natural food colors, I added turmeric powder for yellow, Beetroot juice for Red, Spinach puree for Green and no color for regular. This is a fat roti traditionally made by hand, here I used an unused tweezers that was sleeping in my kit since ages as I do not make my brows! Now one more kitchen tool for me!

 Khoba is a Marwari word that literally translates to cavity or depression.

 Jodhpur had many communities and villages wherein villagers used to travel long distances for business or shikaar, so they used to take these rotis as they were convenient and didn't need many frills around to eat food. They could easily keep the sabji on the cavities of roti and eat as they travelled." This travel friendly roti is made simple, that is without masalas, so that it does not over power the taste of other sabjis.

This is a rustic Indian breadwhich can be served with semi wet curries, meat or even pickles!


As my hubby loves moti or thick rotis, I thought that nothing could go wrong with it and went ahead to prepare a Rajasthan inspired thali. I served it with lip smacking Jaipuri Aalu Pyaz ki sabzi, Panchmel or Banjara dal and Mutton curry. The verdict was awesome, hubby was wonderstruck as I made my rotis colorful and designer!




  Ingredients:

  1. Wheat flour or Aata
  2. Salt-1 tsp.
  3. Oil or ghee-1 tsp.
  4. Desi ghee for drenching rotis-5-6 tbsp.

Procedure :

  • Knead a normal dough with salt and 1 tsp. oil.
  • Rest the dough for 30 minutes.
  • Make thick rotis and make designs with either your thumb and finger or with Knife or fork or tweezers.
  • Heat tawa and cook on low medium flame, I also directly did their senkai with the help of chimta on slow flame for a couple of minutes.
  • Smear with desi ghee and enjoy!


 

Comments

Popular Posts