Dum Aaloo

                                Dum Aaloo                              



 This is the recipe I learnt when I was in 10th grade. At that time,I just knew how to make lauki kofta and that also from my Home- science teacher at Gonda for annual examination. I was such a novice that she herself cooked for me in practical exam, otherwise I would have failed!
But here,I just entered into 10th grade and one day, was very adamant to learn something special and coaxed my Mummy to teach me something special,something she did not use to cook routinely. I don't know how she decided to teach me this dish which was by all standards a time consuming and very complicated dish for a beginner! And credit should be given to me also as I internalized this dish so well that I never looked for recipe book while making this and that was when I could not make a single dish without  looking into my recipe book for exact measurement of spices,if not of procedure...!I remember my Mom-in-Law said once after marriage," You don't cook anything without referring to your diary, I will be very happy when you will cook without looking at your diary"! Now I wish she would have been alive to see that I only not cook without peaking into my recipe book,but I have also created my own recipes,vegetarian and Non-vegetarian!
Too much talk,let's start cooking.

Ingredients:

  1. Baby Potatoes-8
  2. Onion-4
  3. Garlic-3-4
  4. Ginger-1"piece
  5. Tomato-2
  6. Curd-1/3 cup
  7. Bay leaf-1
  8. Black cardamom-1
  9. Black pepper-6
  10. Cloves-2
  11. Cinnamon stick-1/2' piece
  12. Shah Jeera or black cumin-1/2 tsp.
  13. Kababchini or whole spice-2
  14. White cumin-1/2 tsp.
  15. Coriander powder-1 leveled tsp.
  16. Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp.
  17. Salt
  18. Chilli powder-2 tsp.
  19. Kashmiri chilli powder-1 tsp.
  20. Refined + Mustard oil-4+3 tbsp. and also for deep frying
  21. Water-1/2 cup or depending on the gravy of your liking



  Method:

  • Peel potatoes and prick them with the help of fork or knife.
  • Fry them in refined oil till pink.
  • Cut 2 onions in omelet cut for tadka.
  • In a grinder,grind all the whole spices except bay leaf and then add rest of onion and ginger garlic, make a smooth paste.
  • Chop tomatoes.
  • Heat both the oils mentioned in the ingredients,and when hot,add bay leaf.
  • Now add finely chopped onion and fry till light brown,they should not burn or under cooked,please patiently saute till they get a nice even color.
  •  Add tomato and curd plus all the blended masala, powdered spices and salt.
  • Cover and cook on low medium heat.
  • It will take lot of time as masala content is much,Approx.40-45 minutes.
  • When oil starts coming on surface,bhuno with help of 1/4 cup water on high flame so that nothing raw remains.
  • Again, you will see oil on top, then add fried potatoes and stir.
  • Add water,traditionally the gravy is thick, but my husband likes a little thin, so I add a little more water.
  • Cover the lid and cook till one whistle.
  • Depressurize naturally and garnish with cilantro or dhaniya patti.

 
  
Note: This tastes yummier when made 2-3 hours before serving,all the flavors are harmoniously blended.

Comments

Popular Posts