Mexican Enchiladas (Vegetarian)

                        Mexican Enchiladas (Vegetarian)





As I am a vegetarian, I can just vouch for this recipe,the taste and the overall satisfaction of cooking this amazing dish is simply amazing. For vegetarians, when it comes to world food, there are not many or much tasty options. Enchilada is an exception. There are few other varieties like cheese and onion and spinach and cheese, but this re-fried beans Enchilada is the best in my opinion. I first had it at one of my friend's home when we just moved to Chicago. She made it with store bought re- fried beans and  ranchero sauce and I liked it.

When I thought of re-creating it, I was also thinking of making it from scratch. Luckily I found a very good recipe online for Re-fried Beans and followed it point by point. I would love to share that link here, but it has been so long when I saw this recipe, I have completely forgotten the site. Sorry about that folks, but recipe is very tasty and at the same time, so simple!

Ranchero sauce is a tomato onion based sauce infused with some herbs. I have my own version for a spicy sauce and it compliments the enchiladas so well. This dinner I served with Mexican Rice and Re-fried beans side for our Wedding Anniversary as we were not going out due to covid 19.

Ingredients:

 For Filling

  1. Flour tortilla
  2. Pinto  Beans-1 cup (Soaked for few hours)
  3. Onion-1 (Finely chopped)
  4. Green pepper-2-3 ( Optional)
  5. Red chilli powder or paprika-2 tsp.
  6. Salt
  7. Cilantro leaves for garnishing
  8. Water-1 cup 
  9. Oil-2 tsp. Plus some for shallow frying tortilla

 

For Red Sauce or Ranchero Sauce

  1. Tomato sauce-1 can of 16 oz.
  2. Onion-1 finely chopped
  3. Garlic cloves-3-4 minced or grated
  4. Paprika-1 tsp. ( I used red chilli powder to make it hot)
  5. Oregano-1/2 tsp.
  6. Parsley dried-1 tsp.
  7. Basil dried-1 tsp.
  8. Black pepper- 1 tsp. freshly pounded
  9. Salt
  10. Water-1/4 cup
  11. Oil-1 tsp.
  12. Sugar-1 tsp.

Procedure:

  • First we will make the  re-fried beans filling .
  • I boiled Pinto beans in a cooker, you can do it in a pot till it gets mushy.
  • I boiled for 4-5 whistles.
  • Open the lid after it cools down and mash it further with a laddle. 
  • Heat oil in a pot and add finely chopped onion.
  • Saute till they turn slightly brown, add paprika, salt and stir.
  • Add  1/2 cup reserved water and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
  • Garnish with cilantro leaves.

Now we will go for our next step.

  Let us make the sauce.

In 2 tsp. Oil, add finely chopped onion and saute till soft and light brown. 
Add minced or grated garlic.
After about 1 min.,add canned tomato sauce (puree in India) and also add all the ingredients under sauce.
Cook till it boils, keep aside.

  • In a pan, heat some oil and shallow fry flour tortilla, do not crisp it.
  • Take a plate and arrange 2 tortillas on it, filling in the middle and then folded from both side like dosa, seam side down and on top of it, pour the red sauce which we have already made, also spread shredded cheese and micro it for 2 minutes.
  • 2 minutes for 2 enchiladas.
  • Serve hot with Mexican rice, Re-fried Beans and sour cream.

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts