Halwa or Kada Prasad

                    Aate ka Halwa or Kada Prasad


 
Aate ka halwa as I know from my childhood is the same iconic Kada Prasad of Gurudwaras. Though Kada Prasad is perhaps loaded with more ghee, this sweet dish definitely needs a skill to make it perfect. Imperfect ratio of ingredients or imperfect time and flame in roasting the halwa can turn it into Lapsi!Though Lapsi is a cracked wheat sweet, my papa used to call imperfect aata halwa a Lapsi!

Dadi and Mom, both used to make perfect aata halwa. My dadi's halwa was famous in the whole town! As a child, I never liked Aate ka halwa or as a youth also my liking did not change. That's why I never tried to learn this from my mother. But after marriage, I came to know that my husband is very fond of it. Then I started making it. Tried to recollect how mom used to make it but no success....because I never saw her making this halwa! My philosophy was "if I don't like this, why should I learn ?" 

Asked mom over phone the trick of making perfect halwa and perfected it pretty soon.


Ingredients:

  1. Aata or Wheat flour-1 cup
  2. Sugar-1 cup
  3. Ghee or clarified butter-A lil less than 1 cup or 1 cup
  4. Water-2 cups
  5. Green cardamom powder-1 tsp.
  6. Nuts of your choice

Method:

  • In a kadai or deep saucepan with thick bottom, warm ghee.
  • Add wheat flour or aata and keep stirring on low medium flame.
  • Mix sugar and water in a mixing bowl, keep aside.
  • When aata turns dark in color and a nice and nutty aroma starts coming, add water sugar mixture and green cardamom powder.
  • Continue stirring till it thickens and becomes fluffy, turn off the heat and cover for 5 minutes, then garnish with your choice of nuts and serve .

 

Comments

Popular Posts