Eggplant Parmesan

                           Eggplant Parmesan


 





This is my favorite Italian dish and I loved to order this each time when I went to Italian Restaurants !
Then I learnt the recipe from one of my friend from Italy and Maria told me to cook with some variation if I like.Me too believe with Rachael Ray that food made at home can be custom made per your taste and preferences. So here I am, kind of little Indianized it by adding chilli powder to the basic sauce and after cooking this version,I don't like the bland restaurant eggplant parmesan anymore :)

Ingredients:

  • 1 eggplant
  • 1egg white
  • 1/2 can tomato sauce 32 oz.(I use Dei Fratelli)
  • 1 medium size onion
  • 2-3 garlic cloves
  • Panko bread crumbs
  • Flour 2 tbsp.
  • Parmesan or mozzarella cheese
  • Salt,1/2 tsp. red chilli powder(Optional),1 tsp. each  basil,parsley and oregano  
  • Black pepper 1/2 tsp.
  • Oil For frying

Method:

  • Cut round pieces of eggplant,not very thin,just medium size.
  • Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a pan and saute finely chopped onion.
  • When translucent,add crushed garlic.
  • Saute for a minute and add black pepper freshly ground,chilli powder, oregano,parsley,basil and salt with tomato sauce.
  • Boil this mixture (I add 1/2 tsp. sugar also).
  • Turn off the heat.
  • Now heat oil for frying in a pan and first dip eggplant slice in egg white and flour paste,coat well with bread crumbs(I mix salt,Italian seasoning to the bread crumbs) and deep fry.Sometimes I don't fry them, just bake them in oven with some olive oil.
  • Now,in a baking dish,spread the layer of eggplant and spoon the sauce on the top with Parmesan or mozzarella cheese and bake in the oven on 375 F till the cheese melts.
  • Serve hot with pasta and soup or salad. 

Comments

Popular Posts