Sattu Bhari Makuni

                       Sattu Bhari Makuni

                    An Eastern U.P. Delicacy                      

 

My mom was from Ballia, an eastern U.P. small town. The town borders with Bihar's Chapra and therefore, there may be common food and dialect between the two U.P. Bihar cities. She used to prepare awesome stuffing for Makuni which is called Bharbhara in Chapra. Basically it is the same stuffing which is prepared for Sattu bhari bati, as bati is supposed to be prepared with kande/uple or cowdung cakes, it was always not possible in cities busy lifestyles to arrange that always; and there was always a craving for this stuff in rainy days, winters, so it was easy to make moti roti stuffed with sattu filling which was used to call Makuni in Ballia. I have no idea whether people of other cities know this dish or not because my in-laws didn't know such dish, and they were from Varanasi-not very far from Ballia.

My Papa was very fond of Mom's Makuni and always used to say that "your mother makes the best stuffing, noone else comes closer to her!" No doubt about it, I have also not found any other bati stuffing as tasty as hers in my entire life. I learnt this recipe from her, my version is closest to her recipe, yet it is never the same. She used to make small thick Makunis well stuffed with her awesome filling, a mouth watering dish served with assorted bhartas or chokhas. 

This is my comfort food but when I prepare it, there are no bhartas. As my hubby does not eat this, I don't go through all the hard work of preparing baingan,tamatat and aalu bhartas, chutney. I just eat it with a katori of desi ghee--ah it is heaven!

As the stuffing is same as Bati's, here I'm sharing the link-----

 

Bati stuffing 

 

Note- As this roti is thick, you have to cook on direct heat set on low medium, otherwise it will remain raw from inside. First cook the edges of all sides with the help of a tong or chimta, then flip up and down.

Comments

Popular Posts