Malai kofta



                                           Malai Kofta 

 


 

Malai Kofta is a North Indian speciality from Mughalai Cuisine.It is a mouth watering creamy dish best served on special occasions because it is quite rich.It is made with deep fried potato and paneer balls that are dunked in rich creamy gravy. Cream is known as malai in Hindi,since cream is liberally used in making the gravy.

When I was growing up, the traditional dishes made in our household were not used to be so fancy.Malai kofta was not known to me in my childhood days, the very first time I tasted it ,was in Hotel Bobina at Gorakhpur. Papa was posted as Additional Commissioner there so I asked him to get the recipe from the chef or manager,but as expected, he did not oblige me! And keep in mind that was not an era of You Tube or internet recipes on your finger tip. I am talking of early 80s.

 There are so many versions of Malai Kofta available but this recipe is my most favorite. I learnt it from Rita di,my sister-in-law's friend when we just moved to Chicago. I remember it was a chilly winter night when we were invited to her house for dinner and this kofta was served among other Indian dishes. I love koftas in general and Malai Kofta is my favorite.But the taste of her Malai Kofta was so amazing and perfect that I instantly asked her recipe. My life partner does not like koftas but this kofta even he said he liked. Ingredients are few but taste is unique.

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups grated paneer(I made fresh paneer from whole milk)
  • 2 medium size potato(baked in oven)
  • 3 tbsp. finely chopped walnuts
  • 1 tsp. turmeric powder
  • salt
  • whole corriander 1 tsp.
  • 5 whole chillies
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 2 medium size vidalia onions(Vidalia is sweet onion,you can use any variety).
  • 3 medium tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup corriander or cilantro paste
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • oil for frying Koftas and for masala
  • 1 cup water.
  • 3 green chillies
  • 1 tbsp. frozen or fresh coconut.

Procedure:


  • Mix paneer,walnuts,turmeric powder,potato, salt & finely chopped green chillies and shape them into small balls.
  • Heat oil in a deep pan & fry the paneer balls.
  • keep aside.
  • Blend onion with dry spices and fry them in approx. 4-5 tbsp. oil.
  • Blend tomatoes and add them after 6-7 minutes,add frozen ( you can use fresh too) coconut also and fry till it is 30-35 minutes.
  • Add cilantro/coriander green paste and keep frying on low heat till it starts leaving oil.
  • (I add approx. 2 tsp. chilli powder also as we like it more hot).
  • Add water and when it boils,drop koftas and add cream.
  • Serve hot with naan and rice.


Comments

Popular Posts