Moong Dal Tikki
- Moong dal dhuli..1/2 cup
- Baking potato......3 (Or large size potato)
- Cornstarch............3 tbsp.
- Onion ...................1 large or 2 small size
- Garlic cloves.........2-3 (U.S. Size just 1 )
- Ginger...................1/2' piece
- Cilantro Or Corriander leaves..2-3 sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Chilli powder.........2 heaped tsp. or according to your heat level
- Turmeric powder.....1/2 tsp.
- Corriander Powder...1/2 tsp.
- Oil for frying
- Green pepper or chilli..2-3
- Boil potatoes and mash them or grate them. For this recipe,the sticky potatoes that are available in India during winter are the best but here in U.S. I use any potato because those aren't available here. The only thing is that the tikkies don't turn out as smooth as it used to be in India :( .
- Soak moong dal for a couple of hour and then pressure cook them with salt and water,make sure water is not much,you need water only to cook it dry,approx. 1/2 cup.
- Blend half the onion (if you are using big) or 1 onion (if you are using small) & garlic cloves.
- Chop onions as we chop for omlette,ginger and cilantro + green pepper.
- Heat pan and add 2 tsp. oil and saute chopped onion,ginger & green chilli.
- In the same pan,heat 3 tbsp. oil and fry the blended masala (onion-garlic) adding chilli powder,turmeric powder,Corriander powder & salt.
- Masala is done when it starts separating oil,add cooked and mashed moong dal and sauted onion,ginger,chilli. Sprinkle cilantro.
- Now your moong dal filling for the tikki is ready.
- In potato,add cornstarch (arrowroot) and salt and make it smooth.
- Make a ball from potato,shape it as katori and put moong dal filling into it and carefully seal it and flatten a little.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry these tikkies on high setting.
- Serve hot with cilantro chutney,no ketchup please !